Sunday, November 21, 2010

Holidays are Coming

It's no secret, even if you look at the background of my blog, that Fall is completely my favorite time of year.  I love the cool, crisp changes in the air, I love the buildup of excitement that surrounds the holidays, and I love how the holidays bring family together.

Thanksgiving is a special one for me.  I have many fond memories of this holiday from both sides of my family.  When we lived in California, all of my dad's family would get together for a big feast, and we would watch football, Thanksgiving Day parades, and end up playing a game of volleyball.  In Texas we would all go to my mom's parents' house.  That place is one of my favorite places.  Mamaw's house was small, but we would all converge there, and end up sleeping on pallets on the floor, on pullout couches, anywhere there was an empty space.  Then there was the comfort food at both places.  It was good, there was plenty of it, and it was all homemade. :)  Plus, all of us cousins would get together for a game of touch football out in the field.  It was always fun.

I'm looking forward to this year's feast.  I'm sad that Tim won't be there with us this time, but he's letting us head out without him.  He'll be working, and they will be feasting at work, but it won't be the same without his dry sense of humor getting the rest of the group going.  The rest of us will be playing horsehoes, sitting on the back porch talking, the kids will be playing hide and seek in the woods and we'll definitely have our after-Thanksgiving trek around the neighborhood.  I can't say I'm looking forward to the 4 am beginning to black Friday, but it seems that's become an annual tradition as well.

It will be a good holiday.  How are you spending yours?

No comments: