Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Excellence

I know I've said it before, and I've gushed too much about the people I work with, but I'm going to gush some more.

These past two days our school retreat has been taking place.  It's a time when we as a staff get together and focus on our theme for the year.  Sometimes the theme is specific, like focusing on standards or data, but this year our focus is Excellence.  We were given a card with a quote by Brian Harbor, and I am going to display it in front of my desk so I see it every day:

"The pursuit of excellence is not to be a quest for superiority, and is not about competition or about outstripping others (which is usually done for one's own glory or significance, or for the praise or applause of men.)

Instead,
SUCCESS means being the best.
EXCELLENCE means being your best.
SUCCESS, to many, means being better than everyone else.
EXCELLENCE means being better tomorrow than you were yesterday.
SUCCESS means exceeding the achievements of other people.
EXCELLENCE means matching your practice with your potential.
~Brian Harbor

I'm pumped.  Looking forward to see what a year of excellence can do!



No comments: