Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Connecting with Distant Relatives

There's something about family that gives us roots, makes us feel grounded.  I am blessed to a HUGE degree to have strong family ties with my immediate family as well as extended family.  Having shared memories with cousins and seeing events from my memory from another perspective is so fun. 

I got to see some cousins today.  While I only got to spend 5 hours with them, the talking and laughter that we shared was priceless.  We talked about memories from when we were young, Mimi and Papa's house, stories about my dad and his sister from his sister's side of things (their family is known for being quite the pranksters.  With seven kids in the house, the stories are endless!) and so much more.  It's nice to know my following my cousins around didn't bug them too much.  It was also fun to know they had similar "bowling" stories, and having a similar sense of humor is just icing on the cake.

My daughter went with me.  She has a close connection with these cousins of mine.  I'm not sure why, but she just fits in so well.  And I love passing down this history and sense of belonging to her.

I guess the reason the roots and history is so important is it adds to our sense of purpose and responsibility.  You really don't want to let family down when there are strong ties involved.  And being able to laugh and joke brings people together in ways that even geography can't replace. 

Family is the tie that binds, but laughter is the glue that holds it all together. :)  Love, love, love my family.

No comments: