Saturday, August 21, 2010

Perfectly Imperfect Week

     This week has been anything but perfect.  It seems that every time I started to make headway, something came up and interrupted.  Meetings, phone calls, late deliveries all worked to keep me from moving forward with moving into and setting up my class.  But you know what?  Now that I'm sitting and reflecting on this week, I wouldn't have it any other way.
     See, all of those interruptions, late deliveries and phone calls were the little things that make me better at my job, both as a teacher and a mother.  The phone calls were just about connecting with the kids, making sure they had everything they needed, and just talking and goofing around with them.  The meetings were about procedures and events that need to take place in the next few days to ensure we are effective at school.  The deliveries both at home and school were the little things that make those spaces unique and personal.
     I didn't feel this good about these things during the week.  It wasn't until our last "meeting" that it all hit me how perfectly imperfect his week was.  We, the teachers and administrators on our campus, spent two hours team building.  We started off thinking, "I really could be spending this time in my classroom!" and ended up working together and laughing so hard that my cheeks hurt at the end of the day.
    It's easy to get bogged down in the details of things.  But that team building time just brought our minds back to the task at hand and reminded us that all of these things we may stress about are not what we're about.  It's all about the relationships with these families, and having a part in guiding them from where they are to where they need to be.
    So begins a perfectly imperfect beginning to hopefully a perfectly imperfect new year.

No comments: