Thursday, July 08, 2010

Another Half a Century in this Family!


Last December, my parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary, and I'm happy to say that tomorrow will be the 50th anniversary of my husband's parents.

I've taken time to pause and think about all of the things they've seen since they were married. It was a different world back then. I'm sure things traveled at a much slower pace until the 60's went into full swing. I imagine it was difficult to be newly married during such tumultuous times, but Mom and Dad Hughes started their little family and went full force.

Both did what they needed to do to raise a good, strong family. Dad worked as a fireman, and also took side jobs on his off days. Mom worked in the school system. They were busy, but they stayed on top of things in their family, and they have been better for it. My husband likes to tell my kids of the time he disobeyed his mom, and with just one phone call, the fire truck pulled up outside. That was mom and dad working as a team. :)

Mom and Dad Hughes make comments to me occasionally about our kids and how behaved they are, how polite and well mannered. I have to say, though, that those beginnings didn't start with us. They began the generation before us, and worked their way down. I do believe when scriptures talk about blessings being passed to the 3rd and 4th generations, this is what it is talking about. There are real blessings that come with the principles that have been passed to us.

So on this day, Mom and Dad Hughes, I want to thank you for the time, patience and efforts you have put forth for your family and your marriage. It has not returned to you void, and there are a few generations that owe the blessings we are reaping to what you have sown these past 50 years.

We are forever proud of you and grateful to you.

No comments: