Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Head's Up

Being out of the country for 9 years has enabled us to see the states from a different perspective, I believe. It's a little strange, but interesting at the same time, to see some of the things that have developed over the years, especially in the realms of technology and entertainment.

First of all, who decided to put ads at the bottom of the TV screen? You're watching a program, totally engrossed in the storyline, when an ad pops up and totally pulls you out of the story. Whoever thought of that was greedy and not at all thinking of the viewer. It's rude. We don't like to be interrupted when we pay $7 at a movie theater, why do we allow it at home?

Second and probably last for today is the use of cell phones. We really don't use cell phones much as a family. Instead we just plan what we are going to do, where we are going to meet, etc. It's been amusing watching people use cell phones since we've been here. I pick Timothy up from school, and as I wait in line in the parking lot, I see students emerging from school with their cell phones already attached to their ears. Friends will be walking side by side, talking on cell phones to someone else. Or they will be wandering around the grass or sidewalk, kicking stones, leaning on trees, totally enthralled in conversation.

But students aren't the only ones. Adults are just as bad! Loud phone conversations in restaurants and even Dr's offices are definitely annoying. I really don't want to hear why another person is breaking up with someone else. Even at little league, coaches and parents are on their cell phones, or texting away at a speed I never imagined possible. I think we've discovered a new and improved use for thumbs!

I guess the reason I'm bothered so much by cell phones is the disturbance of the here and now. I don't mean the occasional phone user by any means. Sometimes you just need to make a call, and that's when cell phones are useful. I'm talking about the two friends walking together talking to other people, or the parents at the little league game missing their child's time at bat because they're talking on the phone. Cell phones have become a distraction away from the moments in front of us. The seizable moments, if there is such a word. As parents, we look for teachable moments, or moments just to absorb the joy our children bring. As friends, sometimes it is OK to be lost in the moment of just being with a friend, without having to say a word.

As an outsider looking in, I find our distractedness a little bit sad. We need to be alert in the moment, but instead we're thinking about the two or three steps ahead. Maybe all of the turmoil around us will cause us to look around a bit, and be grateful.

Next time maybe I'll talk about cell phones and driving. But I'll have to tone that one down a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Stacy it's been a while since I've read your blogs and I'm sending these on. Tooo good not to share! Love you lots!