Monday, March 26, 2007

Home and Hearth





I decided to post this picture, even though it is a little blurry. This picture brings back some good memories, and causes me to reflect more on my thoughts about Dignity.

As I stated before, Dignity does not require status or nice things. It can be found in the most humble circumstances. This insight came to me when visiting villages, when dignity found it's way into the home in the most simple tasks: cooking, showing hospitality, doing a job and doing it well. We were strangers in these homes, but we were given a great meal, a solid mat to sleep on, and lots of great conversation. Daily life consisted of taking care of the livestock, making meals, and taking on those chores that were dictated by the season. But these people showed confidence in doing this job, and were happy to open their homes and share their wealth. I guess dignity goes hand in hand with contentment. And maybe some confidence thrown in for good measure.

I think we could learn a lot from folks like these. The west has lost it's sense of dignity in many respects. It is a world that enjoys confrontation and find any excuse to do so, and I'm sure there are those who become wealthy from this type of thinking. But I'm learning to value those who possess this quality, and who encourage it in me and those I love. I find I have always enjoyed having these people in my life, and I am enjoying coming in contact with new friends who possess it.

Here's to dignity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said Stacy!