Friday, October 08, 2010

The Importance of Questions

I was in the teacher's lounge years ago (not one of my favorite places), and the teachers there were discussing the events of the day which happened to be the Branch Davidian situation in Waco.  The Davidians were still in a stand off, and more and more information was coming forward about David Koresh and his followers, and what they believed and practiced.  A fellow teacher looked at me and said, "So, what do you think is going to happen to your guy David in Waco?"  Shocked, I asked him what he meant by that statement.  "Well," he said, "You're a christian, he's a christian...you must know what he's teaching."

In that moment I realized that it was important for me not to be offended, but instead discuss the differences.  I explained that Mr. Koresh demanded to be followed without question, but as christians we are supposed to question our leaders.  We are to study ourselves and we are to hold our pastors accountable for what they teach.  He was quite surprised, but his question led to a great discussion. And it led to a realization:

Truth is not afraid of questions.  Truth welcomes questions.  It welcomes testing, because testing = proof.

Beware of those who do not allow questions.  They fear truth.

No comments: