Thursday, April 02, 2009

Forging Friendships

(No, I don't mean forging as in counterfeit. I mean forging as in strengthened by fire.)

I was thinking of the phrase “forging new friendships” the other day, and I was letting it role around in my head, thinking of the different ways my friendships have been “forged.” When I think of that word, I think of iron being put into fire, and my next thought was, “What a crazy way to speak of new friendships.” But then I started to catalog my friendships over the years, especially the ones that have stood the test of time, and I realized that it’s true. There are many moments within the life of a friendship that work to bond people together. I guess the forging fire works to either purify a friendship or burn it up.

The forging fires are the bonding moments that we as friends go through. Sometimes they are uncomfortable situations from the outside in. Other times they are from within the friendship itself, but whatever the case, the friendship endures.

I, like everyone else, have had friendships that did not stand that test, and I've wondered over the past few years what the difference is between those that stand the test of fire and those that do not. I'm sure it's different reasons for different people, but at the bottom of it all I think there has to be a mutual caring and respect that transcends the outer and inner turmoil. For the friendships that have lasted, I noted that there was never any posturing or competition. It was about loving and enjoying each other for who we were and where we were at in our lives. To this day, we all can see each other after being years apart, and feel like we were never apart. I don't think posturing allows for that, nor does it have any place in a friendship.

Either way, it just goes to prove that good, solid, meaningful friendships are rare, but when they occur, they last a lifetime. Even distance can't break the bonds. So, my friends, I just want you to know that I'm thankful for you!

1 comment:

This Eclectic Life said...

What a thoughtful post! Maintaining friendships is difficult sometimes. I think that it's a bit like tending a garden. We have to tend them regularly ... and sometimes (when we get distracted) they are neglected. The hardy ones may wither a bit, but they come back.