Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration

I have to say that watching the inauguration was truly awe inspiring. Even though I didn't vote for Obama, and I don't agree with many of his policies (Spread the wealth? Does he really think the lowest guy on the totem pole won't feel that one?) I was very proud to be an American. Well, until a few jerks started taunting Bush. Don't they have any sense of decorum?

I think it's amazing that one of the most powerful positions in the world can change hands without some sort of coup or infighting. Where else can two people with very different ideas about how things should be run exchange the reigns of power with such grace and dignity?

I do think that there needs to be an understanding that whether or not we like the standing or future president, there is something to be said about respecting the office. The military folks who were on hand know better than anyone the sacrifices made for Bush's policies, yet they were sad to see him go. However, they also welcomed President Obama with open arms. Why? Because he's their Commander in Chief.

I hope, through the discourse of events, a discussion comes to the forefront about proper behavior at such events. As Americans, we are pretty tolerant about allowing people their say. Mutual respect is not too much to ask.

No comments: